Bill joined the RCN(R) at HMCS STAR in 1946 as an Ordinary Seaman (Officer Candidate) at McMaster University. During his training, he sailed in the cruiser HMCS UGANDA in 1947. He eventually reached the rank of Lieutenant Commander (Supply) in 1958 before retiring. He served as a Hamilton City Councillor and Controller for over thirty years. He was instrumental in the acquisition of the HAMILTON & SCOURGE by the City of Hamilton as well as being involved in numerous other historical and heritage endeavours.
06 February 1810 Sailors from HMS STARR a 16 gun ship of the MERLIN class, form part of a Naval Brigade that establishes gun batteries to bombard the capital of Guadeloupe, the last French colony in the West Indies. The surrender of Guadeloupe markedly diminishes the slave trade, made illegal by Britain in 1807. In 1847, participants are eligible to apply for the Naval General Service Medal with the clasp, Guadeloupe, and STAR received the battle honour Guadeloupe.