Donna Portree provided me some fascinating information about her father, who was awarded the DSM for his actions in August of 1942 during the engagement between HMCS ASSINBOINE and U-210. Please see HMCS STAR/Orders, Decorations and Medals/ERA 4/C Donald Portree for details.
Bob was born in Hamilton and served as a Lieutenant in the Castle Class corvette, HMCS HUNTSVILLE during WWII. A long-time member of the Naval Officers’ Association of Canada (Hamilton Area Group).
Died on Thursday, January 15, 2015 in St. Catharines after a brief illness, at the age of 97. Beloved husband of the late Audrey Bernice Graydon Waugh U.E. (June 1, 2009). Loving father of Peter and Stephen (Christine), cherished grandfather of Daniel (Carmela and their children Enrica and Nico), David (Emily) and Peter, all of California and Jesse, England, dear brother of Elizabeth Mayfield (Bill), Toronto. Bob will be missed by many nieces, nephews and friends. Predeceased by brothers; John and Ross and sister; Margaret Bailey.
Bob was Lieutenant Commander RCNVR during WW II. He retired from General Motors – Canada and USA after 51 years of service. After retiring Bob continued with the Financial Executive Institute of Canada, with Canadian Institute for the Blind and also gave his time generously to many charitable organizations.
Bob’s ashes are being placed in the family plot in Cambridge’s Galt Cemetery. Those who wish may make a memorial donation to a charity of one’s choice.
Memories, photos and condolences can be shared at www.morganfuneral.com
Bob Williamson’s book, HMCS STAR: A Naval Reserve History, records on page 26 that, “in the autumn of 1935, the unit’s colours were donated by the Caxton Chapter of the Imperial Order of Daughters of the Empire. These colours were hand made by the ladies of the Order. On March 24, 1936, these colours were deposited at the altar of St. Peter’s Church on Main Street East, where they still hang today.”
The building is no longer used as a church so permission was obtained from the Diocese of Niagara to remove the colours. Unfortunately, it appears as if the original colours may have deteriorated to the point that at some point they were replaced by the church. They still represent a link to the unit’s past so, on January 8th, 2015, the colours were retrieved and returned to HMCS STAR, where they will eventually be properly displayed.