19 January 2015
Bob Williamson’s book, HMCS STAR: A Naval Reserve History, records on page 26 that, “in the autumn of 1935, the unit’s colours were donated by the Caxton Chapter of the Imperial Order of Daughters of the Empire. These colours were hand made by the ladies of the Order. On March 24, 1936, these colours were deposited at the altar of St. Peter’s Church on Main Street East, where they still hang today.”
The building is no longer used as a church so permission was obtained from the Diocese of Niagara to remove the colours. Unfortunately, it appears as if the original colours may have deteriorated to the point that at some point they were replaced by the church. They still represent a link to the unit’s past so, on January 8th, 2015, the colours were retrieved and returned to HMCS STAR, where they will eventually be properly displayed.