Bill joined the RCN(R) at HMCS STAR in 1946 as an Ordinary Seaman (Officer Candidate) at McMaster University. During his training, he sailed in the cruiser HMCS UGANDA in 1947. He eventually reached the rank of Lieutenant Commander (Supply) in 1958 before retiring. He served as a Hamilton City Councillor and Controller for over thirty years. He was instrumental in the acquisition of the HAMILTON & SCOURGE by the City of Hamilton as well as being involved in numerous other historical and heritage endeavours.
Some information courtesy of Mark McNeil of the Hamilton Spectator – https://www.wellandtribune.ca/opinion-story/9940586-flashbacks-remembering-hamilton-heritage-crusader-bill-mcculloch/