Plainsville & Listerville were two of the 38 Ville class tugs built by Russel Brothers in Owen Sound in 1944. They were 40 foot long overall with a 10’6″ beam and a draught of 5′. They were powered by a 150 hp Cummins 6 cylinder diesel. Plainsville was used for training at HMCS STAR from about 1962 and was joined by Listerville (renamed Cavalier in 1974) from 1982 till 1991 when both were disposed off.
Originally they would winter at STAR and later would make the transit to and from Kingston each fall and spring to spend the winter there.
They were used for diesel mechanic and basic seamanship training and served as safety boats for sailing regattas, powerboat races, air shows, etc.