One of four Bird Class patrol craft built to replace the Fairmiles, CORMORANT was launched 15 May 1956 at Midland and commissioned two months later. She displaced 67 tonnes and was 92′ long with a 17′ beam. She had a crew of 21 with either a Lieutenant or a Chief Petty Officer Boatswain in command. She was armed with one 20mm Oerlikon and a split Hedghog anti-submarine spigot mortar. She was propelled by twin diesels and could make 14 knots.
CORMORANT spent some of her time at STAR, likely during the summers, and the rest in Halifax. She lasted only seven years in the navy, being paid off in 1963.