PORTE DAUPHINE, the last of the five Gate Vessels to commission, in December of 1952, served with the RCN only till 1958 before being transferred to the Department of Transport for the next sixteen years for service on the Great lakes with the Canadian Coast Guard employed in surveying and research duties.
On November 17th, 1974, she was recommissioned into the RCN in a ceremony held at HMCS STAR. The Commissioning booklet shows that Commodore R.T. Bennett was the Inspecting Officer and Commander F.R. “Hamish” Berchem, a former Commanding Officer of HMCS YORK and noted Marine artist, was the Commanding Officer.
The year before she rejoined the RCN, PORTE DAUPHINE, under the command of LCdr Archie Hodge, was instrumental in the discovery of the wrecks of the two sunken War of 1812 warships, the HAMILTON and the SCOURGE
Intended to operate on the Great lakes out of Hamilton, PORTE DAUPHINE was quickly transferred to the west coast where she joined her sisters PORTE QUEBEC and PORTE DE LA REINE till the three were paid off in 1995 and 1996 to be replaced by the KINGSTON Class MCDVs.