When Lt Ralph Yeates was appointed Commanding Officer of the Hamilton Half Company on 15 March, 1923, he worked out of the offices of the Navy League in The Imperial Building at Main and Hughson Streets. The Sea Cadets were using a building at 469 Bay Street North at Burlington that had been built in 1869 as the W. Grant Sail Loft and then later became the home of The Reid Gasoline Engine Company, builders of small stationary and marine engines, during the first two decades of the 20th century. The Hamilton Half Company moved in with the Sea Cadets on 02 November, 1923 and stayed there till 1935. The building is still standing and once again used as a sail loft by Bay Sails Haarstick.
Spread the love