The Hamilton Naval Heritage Association (HNHA) is a group of current and former members of HMCS STAR in particular and the RCN in general as well as other individuals interested in Hamilton’s naval history and heritage. It is a successor to the registered charitable organization HMCS STAR Unit Fund / HMCS STAR Historical Collections.
We were formed in July 2012 by the following six initial volunteers:
- LCdr Neil S. Bell, RCN (Ret’d)
- PO1 Bruce Finlayson, RCN
- SLt Tavis Harris, RCN
- CPO2 Ron Seager, RCN (Ret’d)
- LCdr Glenna Swing, RCN (Ret’d)
- Cdr Robert Williamson, RCN (Ret’d)
The aims of this organization include:
- to act as custodians of HMCS STAR Historical Collection and to continue to collect, preserve, display and interpret items such as documents, pictures, books, uniforms, badges, medals and other artefacts relating to:
- Hamilton Half Company of the Royal Canadian Naval Reserve & HMCS STAR
- Local Navy League of Canada branches, Boys Naval Brigades and Sea Cadet Corps; and
- the wider naval and maritime history of the Hamilton area;
- The use of these items for education and research;
- Liaison and cooperation with other historical collections and museums such as:
- The Naval Museum of Quebec;
- Canadian Forces Directorate of History & Heritage
- Maritime Command Museum
- CFB ESQUIMALT Naval & Military Museum
- Canadian War Museum
- HMCS HAIDA National Historic Site
- The Hamilton Military Museum
- Canadian Military Heritage Museum, Brantford.
Please contact us with questions or if you spot errors or omissions. Visitors to the site may use any information here for personal non-commercial use, provided appropriate acknowledgement is given.
Volunteers: Any current or former member of the Naval Reserve at HMCS STAR or the RCN and other interested persons are encouraged to contact us to find out how they can get involved.