Visit Hamilton’s Glen Tugs at Hamilton – Steel City & Naval Town for the story.
A/Cdr George Holcombe Parke was Commanding Officer from 27 Nov 50 to 1 Dec 53. This picture is supplied courtesy of his daughter, Sarah Laidlaw. Note the RCNVR “Wavy Navy” stripe of a Sub Lieutenant. He was promoted to Lieutenant on 27 April 1943 so this picture predates that. He served at sea in the corvettes DAWSON & SHEDIAC as Gunnery Officer. After the war, he joined STAR in 1946 and served as XO from September 1948 till becoming CO in 1950. He was promoted to Commander (AWSE) on 1 January 1951.
In civilian life, he was a pharmacist and President of President of Parke & Parke Ltd, a drugstore at the corner of King & James where Jackson Square is today.